Friday 23 September 2011

Special (RX) Specioprin Hydrochloride (DIR: HAL HABERMAN & JEREMY PASSMORE

I watched a film that was given to me by a friend the other day called "Special" by HAL HABERMAN & JEREMY PASSMORE starring MICHAEL RAPAPORT It had a ridiculously bad cover and some festival laurels depicting that it may have done well on the festival circuit. I wanted to watch something that wasn't slick but that was thoughtful and mind provoking and possibly beautiful and somehow this terrible cover suggested this might just work. Or it might be one of those lo budget film where you feel infected by something so badly made and thought out that you question your whole existence! (I love the performance by the young sensitive friend)...

www.Imbd.com link below to SPECIAL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479162/
Well with Special, I got the above. Firstly the hand held centrally composed camera work was beautiful. Very beautiful. I had seen the main actor in Bamboozled and I think it was True Romance in an audition. He was great in this roll. His very confusing roll was sensitive, absurd, soulful and believable in a story that hit home deeply in this age of wanting to be a famous hero for no good reason but for being famous for no good reason.

In Special because of a drug that allowed one to believe in oneself the hero became a hero with special powers. These were almost certainly only in his own mind. Although some of the powers did seem to surface truly at times. With great powers came great paranoia and the drug company's efforts to nip in the bud this thorn in their sides: a runaway self-believer come super hero tackling petty crimes! It conitinues into a crescendo of self empowerment at the lowest moment of the film.

This was a great film and I highly recommend it!

I'll publish this and find out some of the names when I get home and imdb links etc

MZ

No comments:

Post a Comment